When you are in a test group, you get the privilege to see everybodies lovely dresses first. I didn't immediately start sewing the dress, because I was actually sewing four tests in two weeks (that was a bit too much indeed), so it was a challenge to come up with a fresh type of look (the placket looks the same as the faux one, so that doesn't count).
Eventually, I chose to make a winter version. This meant that I chose for the sleeveless option (I know that sound paradoxal but just bear with me). Sleeveless dresses are great for layering, this dress will look great with a long sleeve and tights (mental note: sew unicolored long sleeves). Instead of using a collar I used piping and I used it everywhere. I used it at the neckline, at the armholes and in the side seams (okay you got me, I didn't use it at the bottom hem, nearly everywhere than). Sewing the piping in the pocket curve wasn't a very relaxing experience, but I am satisfied with the end look. I did some hand sewing there though.
The fabric is from Birch and the colors are perfect for fall. I bought it at Modes4u last year. The piping I made from a Softcactus cotton. The color matches the green in the Birch fabric perfectly. The buttons are squares and I tried to make a small leave pattern to fixate them, but this doesn't really show.
As you also will have read, Compagnie M organized a joined shoot with some of the testers that lived close by. I went, so you might have even already seen a glimpse (or more) of this dress in the blog tour already. I didn't just took my eldest, I thought it would be a nice outing for my middle daughter as well. I therefore also made her a dress.
This time I chose the floral collar, the half circle skirt, the other contrasting pocket shape and the raglan bodice with short sleeves (you see how many words you need to describe the dress version you choose). Of course I didn't actually read the manual (mental note 2: just read it next time, learn from your mistakes!) so I didn't iron on any stabilizers and I topstitched. If you want an example of a perfect flower collar, check her's out.
I also bought this fabric at Modes4u. It is from Cloud 9, both fabrics are from the same line designed by Rea Hoekstra. The pink butterflies I had already used for this dress. I should have again chosen the circle skirt, I had had enough fabric, but I just wanted to see the difference in look. My middle daughter did complain immediate that it doesn't twirl enough (mental note 3: always choose full circle if you have enough fabric).
Besides the slightly different flower collar, this dress also has a different than suggested closure. This time I didn't intend it though. After cutting all my pattern pieces I realized I had cut the back piece on the fold (and I used the pattern without seam allowance). I didn't want to re-cut the back, because I just hate wasting fabric like that. I therefore made this into a learning experience and sewed my first side seam zipper.
A side seam zipper only isn't enough as opening, so I made a closure in the top of the back as well, to allow her head to actually go through. I was planning to use a button and a loop, but while fitting I realized that I could also use a snap. I really like the result. I used a small white flower snap, so it even fits the fabric's print perfectly.
During the shoot Marte distributed balloons and these were a big hit. My eldest managed to break the balloon relatively quickly, but my middle one treasured the balloon. She took it with her the entire day.
Compagnie M's webshop.
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).