Friday, February 19, 2016

The Mackinaw Coat

Today, it is my turn to show you the Mackinaw Coat I sewed during testing for Call Ajaire last month. The pattern is officially for a warm winter coat, but seeing as we are going towards spring (at least I am hoping so), I sewed up a coat without batting. The pattern has two collar sizes (standard and dramatic), and a unisex (straight) and girl (with pleats) version. I sewed the unisex with standard collar for my son.


The shape of the coat is inspired by the traditional Mackinaw coats, which have side seams that curve to the back and low arm cycles. I often read that some patterns are like a sewing class, well this one would definitely fit that category. This pattern shows you how to bag a lining, make bounded button holes and a built in button loop. Due to my son's narrow frame I decided against the sash, but here you can see a boy with a sash, how cool is that back!



I also did not do the bounded button holes, because I simply do not have any nice buttons in my stash. I stocked up on snaps, totally ignoring buttons. For this coat, I therefore also used snaps. I used the same blue for the snaps as the blue from the lining. Both snaps and regular button holes work fine, but for an extra nice finish bounded button holes are great skill to master. I decided to have a faux pipping effect on the front by placing the snaps such that the lining peeks a bit



The sleeves are in two pieces to give more freedom movement, that is why there is an extra seam on the elbow side. Another thing I learned through this pattern. Now, I realise I forgot to make a pictures from the coat's inside. Which is a pity because that would show how the main fabric curves inwards at the bottom obscuring the lining from view. This neat finish does mean that you have to cut separate pattern pieces for the lining and the main fabric. Fortunately the pattern contains a very handy table to not loose oversight over those 25+ pattern pieces.


I used red denim as main fabric and Soft Cactus for the lining. I bought the denim online (like I do with almost all my fabric), but I feel that "red" might be overstating it a bit. When I got it, I felt it looked more more raspberry. I asked my husband, but he told me it was red. Now that the coat is finished I really feel it is  bit too pinkish. Therefore the coat might be worn more by my middle daughter, but I am not sure yet, my son describes it as his fancy coat. So with his love for pink, but fear to wear it at school, this might be the perfect shade for him.


Until the 21st of February the coat is on 25% introduction sale with a code that you can get in the Call Ajaire patterns Facebook group.

I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian). 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wat ben jij toch productief! Ik ben geen fan van dit patroon volgens mij. Wel super dat je zoon m zo mooi vindt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik vind het leuk maar zoon zóu ik waarschijnlijk niet knn overtuigen vr dit patroon.

    ReplyDelete