When I started this blog, I mostly crocheted, now sewing has taken over my life. Once in a while I still do some yarn stuff though. Last year, I participated/ crocheted along with the CAL (Crochet ALong) 2015 of Jolanda and Tertia. I did not finish in September, the moment the last rows became available, but I finished it within a year after starting. On January 1st I made my last row (new year's resolutions and all).
pattern is free and available in Dutch and English. I crocheted the
afghan with a random selection of cotton yarns. I had/have a big
selection of cotton yarn that I bought inexpensively because those
particular lines had been discontinued. I paid around one euro per 50
grams ball, mostly from Phildar but also some other quality brands. At
the end of 2014, I realized my stash had become very big, and I did not
have any ideas how to attack it in the near future. I coincidentally
came across the plans for the afghan and decided to participate it.
decided to crochet the blanker for two reasons. The first one because
it is a great opportunity to use 40+ knots and the other because I was
curious if I had the persistence to finish such a huge project. I went through my stash and found an unconventional mix of colors that I thought was going to work well together, and I would have enough from for sure. When the
blanket was about 80% finished my resolve got tested. I started to run
out of yarn for several colors and the 300+ double crochet per side
became boring. Coincidentally my family in law delivered me some old
pink cotton (left over from a grand mother), right at the moment when I
was debating either to just let the blanket as it was, or to continue
with different color set. Although the color was slightly different than
the one that I had been using, it was similar enough to continue the
color mix that I had been using.
The afghan does not have
a purpose. It is just laying around the living room, and the kids play
with it. For me it is my persistence reward, I am also a bit proud of
the fact that I actually followed the pattern. In sewing I am almost
incapable of following the guidelines, with crocheting I do not really
feel the urge. The blanket ate a lot of yarn, but I somehow still seem
to have enough to create another blanket. Like I already said, the mix of colors is in line with my usual unconventional color combi's. I have seen many well balanced combinations, the fun thing is though that if you work on it for a year, after a while it starts to grow on you.
took a lot of time, the hat was done in a few hours. The pattern is from
this book (also available in Dutch). Besides crocheting the eyes instead of using buttons, I did
not change anything. I even knitted on the needle sizes that were
required and used similar color of yarn as the example (bought at the
Zeeman). It is just as cute as the one in the book.
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free
to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than
English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).