I am exited that today, I can show you my monster project or shall I say Dino project (dinosaurs were huge too right). I am exited because it is finished and because I think it looks awesome.
I had been
planning to sew my son a coat ever since I sewed my daughter a spring coat, half a year ago. In the last weeks, I have seen plenty of winter
coats popping up on sewing blogs and morning temperatures are dropping.
This meant that if I was going to sew my son a winter coat, I had to do
it now. The hoodie my sons loves to death (his own death, because he
will run the risk of pneumonia, claiming that he is not cold in the
thing) needed a warmer replacement.
Over the coarse of Project
Run and Play, I saw two great motorcycle jackets, one by Sew a straight line and one by Spiegelstiksels. I thought they were amazing, and when
my son announced he wanted a motor jacket like is uncle, I jumped on the
occasion! Sew a straight line used an Ottobre pattern which started in
sizes much larger than my small five year old. Spiegelstikels kind a
hand drew the pattern, so I did not have much to go on. Then while
flipping in one of my Ottobres (2012,4) (did I already brag that I own all
excepts one) I coincidentally just came across a motorcycle jacket in my
sons size! I of course had been stupid by not checking all the
magazines for smaller motorcycle jackets. But no harm done, I simply
have to reinstall the first rule: always check Ottobre when in need of a
pattern. Now I just had to tweak the pattern a bit by adding lining
(this was going to be a true winter coat) and adding a hood. I couldn't
have written down the necessity of a hood better than Mieke did.
I used all the parts of the coat, the outer
shell plus the warm layer on the inside (which I had to cut separately
of course). The coat canvas is ecru and my playful son would not have
been happy with a plain coat. I also felt that the inside of the coat
was not as warm as it used to be. I therefore planned on adding an extra
jersey lining to make the inside warmer, softer and more playful. I
chose a piece of green Lillestoff with dinosaur skeletons on it. The
bones are kind of the same color as the canvas of the coat and the type
of green matches very well with the ecru. The lining is showing on the
outside, because of the pockets and the lined hood. To increase the fun
factor, I made applications of the five different dinosaurs to put on
The sleeve boards and the waist board are also
upcycled. I used the boards from an old sweater (the same as this one,
just a different color). The sleeve boards were cut extra long after
coincidentally remeasuring my son and realizing he had grown 4
centimeters since my last measuring! The sleeves are a bit long now, but
he can roll them up a bit. When rolling the hem the white stripes from
the sweater appear. They kind a match the idea of the bones (light on brown), so it does not
bother me (the same goes for the stripes on the inside of the jacket).
I am considering putting a piece of wide elastic in the sleeves, because the boards seams a bit wide now. Fingers crossed he can wear the coat two winters due to the long
Like I mentioned this was a big project, my biggest
project until now. I needed to cut more than 25 pieces of fabric. The
drawing and cutting of the fabric already took me two full evenings. I
liked working on such a big project, especially because my son will
likely wear it every day for the coming months, but I had to take a few
sewing breaks. I noticed that while I was sewing this, I sometimes
missed the exited feeling of a finished project (even though I set
myself attainable sub goals every evening I sewed on this coat).
Therefore, I sewed the Louisa dress and leggings assemble and crocheted
the hood in between working on the coat. I simply needed the wins.
original motor jacket pattern did not have a hood, but I added one
based on the existing hood of the original coat. The coat had a folded
un-lined hood in the collar. I simply lined the hood and attached it
with snaps. I seem to have forgotten to take pictures from the front
with the hood down, so you just have to believe me that this look also
The coat has some strong folds due to its previous life. These will fade over time, due to the water resistent inside of the canvas fabric I did not want to iron the fabric too much. Besides having finished a huge project, I added a
big amount of photos and appear to have written a lot of text as well. I
hoped you enjoyed reading my post and as a special I treat I have three
pictures left. In a dinosaur coat you have to pretend to be a dinosaur.
Here you can see my son being a very scary one.
If you are wondering how a very sweet baby Dino would look like, well this is my sons version.