My son started asking for dungarees a few months ago, about the same time Compagnie M released the Charles dungarees. I bought the pattern, but then got distracted by other sewing projects. Last week my son asked for dungarees and this time I immediately acted on it.
At first he only
wanted to pose in the shirt he was already wearing, the three little pig
ones, but during the shoot I convinced him to switch to a bit less
crowded shirt which combines better with the dungarees. The best
combination would be a uni color shirt, but none of those were clean
fabric I used is the same type as my own trousers, the Kaufman Shetland flannel which I bought at fabric.com, just a different color. My son is very skinny so I made him a
size two width and size five length. The size two turned out perfect,
the size five a bit to long. The extra length is not a big issue the
breast piece has a perfect height, only the legs and shoulder straps
were a bit long, but that was easily overcome.
Due to my son's a-normal
proportions the side fake pockets stayed open too much, which you can
see on the next two pictures. The pockets are a bit too high, for the
next dungarees I will have to adjust this, now his underwear is showing.
I first thought about putting another button but I decided to sew the
lower part closed. I was afraid the extra kam snap would create friction
and my son can easily go in and out of the trousers even with the
button of the pocket closed.
When my son first saw the
dungarees he was on one hand exited but on the other hand a bit
disappointed because the breast piece did not have a small pocket. That
was easily fixed. I changed the details of pattern a bit to make it less
girly by replacing the rounded pieces with corners. This turned out
great at upper part of the breast flap, the pockets still seem a bit round
Before I closed the lower part of the fake pocket my
son loved to put his hand there, he loves pockets. After I closed the
holes he quickly found another way to still put his hands in.
The contrasting fabric with the whales is from
Lillestoff. I bought it to make this dress. I still had a small part
left and the colors matched very well with the flannel. The fabric has a
bit yellow in it and I decided to take the same color of kam snaps. I
love how the back turned out with that contrasting band of jersey. All
jersey pieces were lined with flannel.
In my quest to limit scraps I made another baby onesie from the piece that was left. My model was already sleeping when I made the pictures.