Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Woman's trousers

I did not make a clear list of new year's resolutions of my own, but I simply joined some lists of others. One of the lists I joined is an initiative of Sew Not Perfect. She has created a facebook page where we can all sew along on patterns from our stash. The goal is to sew something every month from a pattern that you owned in the year 2014. Every month has a different theme and January's theme is woman.


I own a lot of pattern, most of them child patterns but I also have a huge pile of woman patterns which are mostly bundled in sewing magazines (I own all Ottobre Woman for example). For this months theme I decided to sew something totally new to me. I decided to sew a pair of woman's trousers. I had sewn a few child trousers and was ready for the next challenge.



I have very good experience with the fit of Ottobre patterns and decided that my first trousers should be from that source. I picked a trousers pattern from Ottobre 5/2007. The fabric I used is Shetland flannel from Robert Kaufman. I read that this fabric makes great child trousers and bought a few versions from it at Fabric.com. I liked the fabric so much that, although I planned to use them for my son, I confiscated one and now turned it into a pair of trousers for me. I bought one and a half yard, and it was a bit of a puzzle but I managed to cut all the pieces from it, I only had to make the back pockets slightly smaller.



These trousers contain my first trouser zipper, the previous trousers all had a half (fake) zipper fly. I did not feel ready to make a button whole yet, but that is on the list of things I want to tackle soon. In these trousers I simply opted for a red kam snap. The waist is rather high and nobody (besides my husband) will see the button anyway.


I think the fit is perfect, I very much like how the trousers turned out. I was not planning to put on belt loops, but I am happy that I did, it was not as much as work as I expected. 

In case you are wondering about that strange right corner in some of the pictures, that is because the angle of the pictures was off. I turned the pictures to having to avoid you having to tilt your head, but my feet would have totally fallen of the picture if I would have cropped the pictures such that the bottom would have been straight. I preferred to have at least partial feet on the picture, so this was the result.


Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).

10 comments:

  1. Knap zeg ! Zo'n ideaal broekenpatroon voor mezelf ben ik helaas nog niet tegengekomen ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je, heb je Ottobre al geprobeerd? Ik heb ook hele goede ervaringen met dat blad bij het gebruik van verschillende maten in 1 patroon.

      Delete
  2. Wow, heel mooi! Ik ga me daar ook nog eens aan wagen. Maakte ooit de perfecte broek voor mezelf, helaas was ze na 1 wasbeurt gehalveerd: toch ergens wat wol in de samenstelling en dat wist ik niet :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he wat vervelend. Ik kan me voorstellen dat je toen ook weinig zin had om hem nog een keer te maken. Ik heb deze stof voor de zekerheid inderdaad eerst gewassen, terwijl ik dat vaak achterwegen laat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wauw! Wat een werk maar hij staat je wel heel goed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Sandra, hoeveelheid werk was eigenlijk niet meer dan dat van een kinderbroek en nieuwe dingen doen geeft mij altijd extra energie ;)

      Delete
  5. Heel chique! Dit jaar wil ik ook eens een broek voor mezelf maken, eerst op zoek naar een patroon en mooie stof :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Mieke en succes met je eigen broek!

      Delete
  6. What a great fitting pair of trousers! Nice work. And if you can put in a zipper, you can put in a button hole no problem. Give it a go :) Thanks for linking up. Glad you are joining us.

    ReplyDelete