When I (again) started to actively blog last fall, I sewed along with Project Run and Play. I loved to see all the different interpretations of one theme. This year Project Run and Play will have a different set up. Now, every month there will be a sew along and you will have three weeks to make your creation. As I understand it, every month there will be a tutorial and you can link up anything that you made inspired by the tutorial. I think it is a great concept, because it will probably mean that I will be challenged to use new techniques, or known techniques in different ways.
This months tutorial was a
bubble dress tutorial. I had never made anything bubbly, so I was game
to try it. Alida provided a nice Pinterest inspiration board as well. But before I was going to try making a bubble dress, I first wanted to
try the technique, so I made a skirt. I took half a meter Michael Miller
fairies from my stash and turned it into a very bubbly skirt for my
middle daughter. The model showing the skirt here is actually my eldest
(the photo was taken with my phone so I am sorry for the lesser
quality). I wanted a full skirt for my twirly middle girl and took the
whole 110 cm wide fabric, Normally this would lead to a nice full
gathered skirt, but the bubble effect made it a bit too much for my
middle daughter's height, but she will grow into it. I chose a very thin
(polyester) lining and this gave a very nice gathering effect at the
bottom. One of the nice thing about the bubble technique is that you do
not have to hem, yeh!
Then I had to choose the fabric for the
"real" dress. I now knew that the bubble technique gives a full skirt
effect and I decided to take a maxi skirt that I had on my upcycle pile (this time I did make a "before" picture).
The skirt is silvery/gray and has many embroidered details on it. I
started by taking the waistband off and I used the upper part of the
original skirt for the skirt part of the dress. The bottom width was
about three times the waist. The lower part of the original skirt had
different triangles with embroidered details and I used the flower
triangles for the sleeves and placed one of the bigger details on the
middle of the front. For the back I opted for embroidered details on the
sides. The pattern of the bodice and sleeves are the same as for this dress and originate from Stof Voor Doe het Zelvers 2.
I lined the bodice with interlock. The fabric of the
original skirt is wrinkled thin cotton which makes the dress stretchy,
but due to the fabric's light weightiness I was afraid that the dress
would become to baggy if there was nothing to hold the wrinkles
together. The dark blue lining shows at the neckline which I think is a
neat detail. Due to the interlock lining I also did not have to use a zipper (double yeh!). I again opted for the thin polyester lining as I did
with the trail skirt. It is a very nice purple and my colorful daughter
loved the fact that the colors of the two linings were not the same. I did not line the
After some serious pictures she of course also had to twirl, jump and bow like a princess.
Kid's Clothes Week has not started yet (almost though), I decided to also put it among my
projects for this season due to the "upcycle" theme. I had planned on
using the original skirt in that week, but I still have a nice pile to
be upcyled (and I might even make something from the skirts's leftovers.
I love to hear what you think of them. Feel free to leave a comment in
the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist
me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or