Lets start of with the obvious one, it is day 5 of KCW. This time I spun the Wild Thing theme into adding ears and with some color blocking I created a giraffe face on the middle of this bodice. I doubted for long if I was going to add eyes, in the end I decided against it. I drew on several using water dissolutional marker but noner of them really added to the look. I might get inspired later but for now it remains like this.
The second challenge this dress fulfill is that of "all the skirts" from skirt fixation. They have a great monthly challenge, check it out, the challenge is to sew all the skirts from one pattern designer. This month the designer is Oliver+s. I know I didn't sew a skirt, but the sew along allows any Oliver +S patterns sewed. At the end of last year I won a paper pattern from the hide and seek dress over at Bartacks and Singletracks. It was high time to sew one up. It really is a great pattern, I love the lines and the pockets! Oh how fun are those little welts.
The third and final challenge this dress lives up to is that of Pattern revolution's Top stitchers. There were several challenges to choose from and I choose Cinderella. This one needs a small explanation. This particular challenges called for a fabric or garment that has gone out of style and bring it back to life, better than it was. Well this dress was made from an old pair of white linen maternity trousers! We reached are dream amount of kids, so no pregnancies anymore, maternity wear has gone out of style (for me). The advantage of maternity wear it the big amount of fabric and even more so, because this pair of trousers I bought second hand and were a bit one the big side. Still I had to be a bit creative for the back skirt part, I had to add an extra seam, but it doesn't really show. This dress clearly does the fabric more justice than the too big maternity pants they were.
The yellow from the giraffe is again from the shirt I confiscated a few weeks ago. Not much is left now. I really should buy myself some of that uni-colored mustard jersey, I love to combine it with everything. The pockets (which do not have a separate picture because they are so well hidden) and the seams are made with a fat quarter of Robert Kaufman. I once bought a bundle of gold detailed fabric at modes4u. Check out the picture in which she lifts the skirt a bit, I love the look. I used another fat quarter of the same bundle for these projects.
As you might have noticed I partly knitified the dress pattern. The yoke is from jersey making a zipper or button closure unnecessary. The little white triangles I added to the yoke is from the trousers' waistband, this way the white perfectly matched the white of the linen. In the picture of the back she is a bit bend, the dress the yoke is straight.
My daughter had an eczema attack so her arms and legs are covered in small wounds. I feel for her, fortunately I know she heals quickly.
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).