Saturday, April 25, 2015

KCW day 6: Dino shirt

This should have been an easy, quick, in between project for KCW. It wasn't, and this was all my own fault. The first mistake I made was screwing up with copying the pattern (Ottobre 3/2015). When I started copying the hood onto my pattern paper I was too close to the side of the paper, moved the paper and redrew. When I cut the paper piece I accidentally cut a wrong line. I noticed that the hood pattern looked a bit of, very narrow, but I assumed this was part of the pattern. When I sewed the hood to the neck I realized it would never ever fit. Then I checked the original pattern and saw my mistake...


In such cases I feel like throwing away the whole piece, but I know that I have to take some distance. An idea to solve it will come, but it takes a bit of time. The solution I came up with was putting in a contrasting piece in the hood. I could have cut a new hood of course but then I had to throw away the wrong cut pieces and that I just couldn't make myself to do that.


The second mistake, which contributed to my frustration over the wrong hood, was that I wanted a different than usual construction technique. The hood is double, it has a lining and I wanted the seam not to show. I wanted the seam to be between the hood and its lining. In the end I succeeded but realized this is better to do with a normal round neckline and not a V neck.


So I am not satisfied with how the V of the neck looks (although it doesn't really show when my son wears it ). The orange extra piece still some how didn't totally make up for the missing width making the back imperfect as well. My son is happy with shirt, which is because of the great Lillestoff design. This shirt ruined my planning, I spend more time taking apart seams than sewing them. This makes me unsure if I will be able to finish my last project tomorrow, lets see.


I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).   

10 comments:

  1. Soms maak je de ene fout achter de andere hé, ik ken dat ;-) Maar het resultaat is dik in orde! Heel mooi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inderdaad, vervloekt kledingstuk in dat geval :)

      Delete
  2. Gelukkig is het resultaat om vrolijk van te worden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meneer ging zelfs zonder zeuren op de foto, hij was er echt blij mee dus!

      Delete
  3. Ik ken het, momenteel een naaidipje, er gaat van alles mis en ik moet veel tornen.

    Ik vind de stof wel erg leuk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stoer t-shirt! Ik vind het oranje stuk in de kap heel leuk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soms kan zo'n foutje juist een leuker resultaat geven. Ik vind het contrast met de oranje nu net zo leuk ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super zeg.
    Heb dat patroontje ook op mijn todo lijst staan.

    ReplyDelete