The previous one is made from fabric that I did not like that much, and I assumed would be perfect for a pyjama. I did not realize that I would be looking at this fabric a big chunk of the week. Whenever we get home my daughter immediate changes in comfortable cloths (sometimes she has even changed before I have taken of my coat) and her onesie is on the top of her list. The dark shirts therefore seemed perfect to be refashioned into a onesie, the dark makes her a bit more dressed when she peeks around my legs to see the mailman.
The shirts were not long enough to facilitate a one piece front (and back), and I opted for diagonal seams on the body. The two shirts contained just enough fabric, one of the shirts had a very big letter print which I did not wanted to use. I did not make "before" pictures because I felt they were just plain shirts and would not have been pictured well (which I am of course regretting now). One of the shirts had decorating seams on the sleeves, which became decorating seams for the hood. I also sewed a decorating label that was on one of the shirts to a sleeve . I made a bounded seam with a contrasting binding (which came from one of the two shirts) for the connection of the hood and the collar. I have a good relationship with my serger and I do not fear changing thread, but I refuse to adapt the collor thread to the fabric, when worn the seams do not show.
This time I ironed on stay-tape on the right zipper location and used an invisible zipper. The sewing of the zipper went perfectly this time, no wobbly fabric. The onesie will most often be worn without anything underneath and I therefore also bounded the zipper sides. The picture might not be very clear, but now only the teeth are not covered in jersey, the rest is. Last time I bounded it with fabric from the front piece and folding it. Now I just used an extra strip.
After seeing the beautiful Silhouette shirts at Miekatoentje I lost my resolve and bought one myself. This Elsa is my first flex application. I now have the machine for one week, and have already used it for three very different types of projects!
I used the same pattern pieces as for the previous onesie, but somehow I added too much seam allowance length wise, which resulted in a bit too big onesie. My daughter did not mind, but I felt that the legs were just too long and would create tripping danger. I was considering sewing in elastic at the ankles but then realised the onesie would probably perfectly fit my son. He tried it on and it indeed fits perfectly. He has been asking for something from Frozen for long, he had something with Olaf in mind but does not mind that it became an Elsa application. My daughter was sad that the onesie passed her by, but I promised I would make her a new one and that she will get this one when she has grown a bit.
The pictures are from mixed models, both my son and middle daughter. I mention it because they are really very similar, even my husband did not notice that the model in the pictures changed (just compare the two pictures where they were laying down). I usually joke that we have a 3D printer at home.
Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).