In a previous post I wrote that a nice piece of my Michael Miller wee wonder fabric remained. I had been planning a true Louisa dress for our middle daughter for long, and I thought this border print would be perfect for such a dress. I was wrong, or at least I am far from satisfied with the creation I made, I added too much details.
next day I decided that the front piece would become the back piece.
There were two problems with this "solution". The back piece should have
a higher neckline and should have a seam allowance in the middle. I
decided to "fix" this by sewing a piece of fabric on the neckline and
cover this with a collar. The zipper would become an exposed zipper on
the front. To give the whole thing an intended look I would put the
zipper on an zipper placket. The collar and front placket pattern pieces
are again from the earlier mentioned Stof voor doe het zelvers 2 book.The short sleeves and extra
shoulder detail were inspired by the same book.
contrasting uni color fabric I used is from a bed cover we once bought
at Ikea. The color matches the grass from the wee wonder remarkably
well.The pipping details were made from the last home made pipping I had
The dress would have been better without the
collar and front placket, the dress has too much detail now. Even with
the collar, it would have been better if I would have adapted the
pattern of the collar to really cover the whole upper back, so without
the mistake-showing-whole that remains now.
likes the dress and the fact she can open the zipper herself, so it
will probably get some wear in day care. Lets hope our youngest will
have longer hair when she will fit in the dress, so it covers the
mistake at the back. It is not a great way to end my sewing year, but the silver lining is that it will be an easy project to beat. At least I managed to use almost all the fabric, this was what remained from the two yard.
Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different
than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).