Friday, April 22, 2016

Girls uptown/downtown maxi dress



This week, Tori from Sew Straight and Gather re-released her girl Uptown/downtown dress pattern. I did not make a typo there, it really is a RE-release. The uptown/downtown pattern was her first pattern three years ago, and now it has an even better fit and has become more versatile. If you want to read more about what changes she made, check her blog post. With pattern adjustments, comes pattern testing, and I happily helped out.


I think maxi dresses were out of fashion the first 15 years of my life, because I never came across them. When they started to turn up around me, I somehow did not feel the need to acquire them. The only maxi dress I own is a party dress from black velvet. Confessing about gaps in my wardrobe seems to be a returning theme on the blog lately. My girls are huge fans of the maxi dress though, it apparently gives the instant princess feel. Here you can read about my first, and here about my second maxi dress. So, when Tori started her tester search I immediately knew that a jersey maxi dress would help in the mother-of-the-year elections.



The uptown/downtown dress has three necklines, two sleeve lengths (not counting sleeveless and tank) and two skirt lengths. I made the tank top version and it fits perfectly. I love the wide straps of the dress, it is very summery, still the straps are nice and sturdy and will not slip off. There are many, many possible variations in final dress, so check out the tester gallery to get a good sense of the variety options. The dress has pockets. During the testing process the pockets were dropped an inch, so on this dress they gape a bit, but that is better in the final version.


The fabric is from Lillestoff. I bought it around the time of release (way way back..) with the intention to make something for myself. While raiding my fabric closet, for long enough fabrics, this one was almost the only one that seemed suitable. After seeing her dress version with this fabric, I knew it would be great on my daughter.


I am still experimenting with the multi-language method. Many of my readers are coming through blogloving, and apparently I can not "hide" pieces there. This time I tried to separate the text brackets more, let's see if it works better.


The pattern is on sale for just 5 dollar until the 24th. If you already acquired the pattern once, you will get the upgrade for free! Due to the re-release the woman/girl bundle is also on sale. Seeing that the pattern is also great for fancy stretchy fabrics, you might want to buy it to make your own black velvet maxi one.


I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).

17 comments:

  1. Zit heel mooi!

    En pakketje ontvangen, dank! Verwend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super, je hebt er dan ook wel super lang op moeten wachten!

      Delete
  2. Leuk zo met 2 talen! Moet ik mss ook eens uitzoeken hoe dat werkt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IK ben nog beyig met optimaliseren, in Wordpress schijnt het een stuk makkelijker te zijn

      Delete
  3. Hier ook een dochter die de maxidressen wel ziet zitten..misschien eens overwegen..
    Wat een gelukkerd toch dat je altijd overal maar mag testen..zou ik ook best eens willen..maar denk dat je eenmaal in t wereldje moet zitten ofzo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je moet jezelf er tussen frommelen, heb ik ook gedaan. Gewoon overal op inschrijven, na een tijdje mag je vanzelf mee gaan doen, ik kreeg ook heel veel nee in het begin en nog steeds ;)

      Delete
  4. I think you're well on your way to Mother of the Year status!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a balancing act, you say they can not play on the pc the entire day and you have to start all over .. :)

      Delete
  5. Helemaal into maxi rokken voor deze zomer, mss moet ik ook werk maken van een maxi dress. Bedankt voor de inspiratie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Altijd onder de indruk van jouw stijl, misschien trekt een jurk van jou zelfs mij over de streep!

      Delete
  6. Wow, staat haar super! Voor mezelf zou ik dit wel niet zien zitten :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik ook nog niet hoor, eerst nog wat kilo's eraf ;)

      Delete
  7. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Meisjeskledij

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. Baby Items

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to be visiting your blog once more, it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share. Beanies for Women

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another key element of the maxi dress is its adaptability. A maxi can be worn for easygoing day wear with a couple of thick wedges, or can be worn as an exquisite night dress with a brilliant edited coat and tied wedge heel shoes. sheer cardigan cover up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will the style development then, at that point come from utilizing new materials? As of late I've gone over a video including Bradley Quinn examining the Fashion Future, and the material advancements right now being developed. Linen fashion

    ReplyDelete