Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Sew Social Amsterdam and the Harry Potter print



In May, I had the honor to meet some awesome European blogging girls in real life! The third edition of Sew Social was held in Amsterdam and I was invited! Besides fabric shopping, talking, sight seeing and eating we had a screen printing workshop by the one and only barbara from Bobbinhood. I already showed you a close up of my print on Instagram, but now I finally showing what I sewed with the Harry Potter fabric.



As usual, I tried to squeeze as much as possible from my fabric. I first sewed a Sylva* for my son. I know it it a pattern for girls, but by drawing down from the armholes, this pattern works very well for my skinny son. I love the Sylva because it is perfect for panels, and other pieces that are usual to short for a regular shirt. I forgot printing one layer in two of my screens at the top of my piece, which resulted in a shorter total print, but the Sylva* saved the situation.



I designed the print based on individual elements that I found on the web. I let my Silhouette handle the cutting again, but this time I did not realize I scaled the print a bit too small. Only after cutting the first layer I realized my mistake. This way the details in the tail of the broom became too narrow for example. You can make a very detailed print, but you can overdo it as well, my line detail in the broom ended up being narrower than a millimeter. I chose the Gryffindor colors to complement my print.



My daughter has fallen in love with comfortable pants. This is therefore actually the third Domi* that I sewed her, but the first one to make the blog. Fun fact, the Domi pattern is one of the few patterns that I keep on hand cut out, because my son loves it so much. I still use the original pattern that I cut during testing two years ago which now perfectly fits my daughter. I have made at least 10 trousers from this one size, which is a huge amount for me for one pattern.



There was no way that I could cut an entire Domi from the fabric that I had, so I had to extra creative. I went for statement color block and added a triangle on her bottom, this way I could use the fabric as optimally as possible. I used the same color ribbing as with the Sylva, but the contrasting golden stripes give another vibe than the plain yelllow from the shirt.



If you feel inspired by my print, make sure that you check out the blogs of the other Sew Social girls during this and next week. Many of them will show their awesome creations. Barbara thanks so much for having us, it was great again!

Amsterdam Sew Social crew: As it seams, Compagnie M, Craftstorming, Dotta, Fliegfederfrei, Huisje Boompje BoefjesInspinrationMade by Toya, Miss Castelinhos, Needle&Ted, Pienkel, Vera Luna

10 comments:

  1. Leuke print! In meerdere laagjes dus... Dat lijkt me best puzzelen bij het printen?

    En ja grappig! @Amsterdam had ik jullie zomaar kunnen tegenkomen. Had ik heel verbaasd gekeken denk ik hihi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het verspringt inderdaad af en toe een beetje, maar gelukkig ben ik niet zo perfectionistisch ;)

      Delete
  2. Heel gave print, super leuk idee met die verschillende elementen. Na de vakantie ga ik echt eens aan de slag met mijn kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeker doen, eerste stap is het moeilijkste

      Delete
  3. Inderdaad een heel leuk stofje! En die broek, die is geweldig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prachtige prints !! Hier is iemand jaloers op de Gryffindor kleuren 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kijk hier maar eens...
      http://mamacreatief.com/blog/2016/9/13/een-uil-om-op-te-eten

      Delete
  5. Your print is amazing! So many details... it was fun to see you bring it all together!

    ReplyDelete