The "Zo Geknipt 2" sew along has two very nice projects this month and I started with the asymmetrical baby dress called Ienieminimooiste. No sizing necessary, because my youngest scored all her measurements in one size (size 80). The original dress is partly lined and finished with bias. I thought this would be an ideal pattern to make reversible. The closure was going to be kam snaps anyway and the bias finish is perfect for reversible dresses, but I didn't think it through well enough.
thing I didn't realize is that the front pieces overlap a lot. They
overlap that much that if I put the dress inside out, the snaps are very
far from the side of the fabric. I realized all this when I started the
second row of snaps, so after I already put on the first row and the
bias. I feared that the "reversed" side would be gaping a lot, but
actually it doesn't. It stays nicely closed. I will probably put one
extra snap on the bottom anyway, but I know it is better to evaluate the
project for a while than performing a quick fix that might make things worse.
I somehow really am into reversible clothes (in the last few weeks I made this, and this, these and these), it might be
due to the fact it allows me to use more fabric (stash busting here),
and only puts one garment in the closet (increasing likelihood of
actually being worn). If I will make this pattern again, I will have to
make the "inside" pattern piece less wide, that way the snaps will be
close to the side on both fronts.
Let's talk fabric. Baby
dresses are great scrap busters, I managed to finish three fabrics (meaning that
the fabric really left my fabric closet, all is used) with this
dress. The brown/yellow side was made with the last pieces of this shirt
(which also was used here and here and here) and a leftover of Birch
with which I made this dress. The purple side is made with the Michael Miller leftovers from the dress earlier this week. I was so in
love with the Soft cactus fabric combination , that I simply used the
Like I mentioned before, the dress closes with kam
snaps. On the purple side I chose green flowers (more about the flowers
here), the green perfectly matches the green from the fabric. On the
brown side I used white round buttons. The buttons match so well that
they are almost invisible. I eye balled the position of the snaps and
ended up using more than the original dress. I really should pay more
attention to details like that.
I made the bias from
some brown Birch fabric. I do not have many uni-color
cotton fabric (understatement) in my stash (this brown is actually the only one besides a
lot of white from old sheets), so I was very happy to see that this
brown matched with the fabrics from both side. I actually prefer the inside (brown and yellow) over the outside, but this might be due to the fact that my middle daughter has been wearing her dress almost non-stop this week, and I like the change.
The fit is really great and she can play and move well in it.
The last thing that
remains is announcing the winner of the Brueram dress pattern, which I gave away
earlier this week. There were 25 reactions so I used the random
generator (taking the risk of selecting one of the other two pattern
testers) and got the number 17. I counted and re-counted and I can
congratulate Astrid Witters with winning the pattern! Please send me an
email to claim your prize.
I love to hear what you think of my creations.
Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different
than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).