Another efficient post, this time I used some leftover Lillestoff fabric (the promised skirt and shirt are already sewn but will be posted about later) to participate in the Project's Run and play May contest. This time we got a T-shirt pattern which I turned into a romper for my youngest. I used the black/white striped Lillestoff fabric to make my own chevron fabric. All the lines match up in the middle (both front and back) and on the sides. The Lillestoff jersey is not slippery and is perfect to match up strips like this.
I used the smallest
size of the pattern but still had to take a bit from the middle (knits
require smaller sized patterns than woven fabrics) and cut the arm holes less deep. I made the sleeves
more fluttery by finishing the end with a rolled hem and with my
differential transport on 0.7. This way the fabric is actually stretched
which creates a nice lattice effect. Honoring my own nationality, I cut
the fabric that way that the Dutch girl is in the centre on the front.
used shirring elastic to make the cinch waist of the original pattern. I
wanted to try if jersey would be light enough to be shirred and it
worked out great. Because of the cinch waist
I could make a size slightly bigger than she normally wears without the
crotch hanging down to low. This way she will be able to wear it the
whole summer (if it actually ever becomes warm enough to wear it, weather is horrible so inside pictures it is).
added small cuffs at the bottom of the leg. I paid extra attention to
the fabric to create al line of faces. To finish the crotch I cut
between the faces to create a relatively one colored piece. I again used
my favorite flower kam snaps, black ones this time, for closure.
my middle daughter saw me cutting the sun fabric she wanted some
herself. I combined it with one of the matching knits to make her a
dress. I again used the free penny play suit pattern, but you could also use
the free Izzy pattern as an alternative. This time I didn't
gather the fabric under the yoke and added another contrasting band at the bottom so I didn't have to hem. The dress is therefore slightly
different than the previous two (but of course has pockets) but still I felt it didn't deserve a
hole post. This descision was also strongly influenced by th fact that my middle daughter was not in
the mood for pictures.
I love to hear what you think of my creations.
Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different
than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).