This is my third and last post on the fabrics I won in the Lillestoff contest. This time I am showing you the results of the hoodie and skirt idea that helped me win the fabric. The earlier posts on these fabrics are here and here.
Both the garments I am showing today have a
large portion of self drafting in them. I do not know when you can say
you drafted a pattern yourself. Is it important that you didn't use any
pre-existing pattern or is it enough if you significantly altered a
pattern? I am curious to hear your opinions.
The hoodie I cut
based on three already cut patterns I had laying around. These were two
Ottobre patterns, from one I used the armholes, neckline and hood. From
another I used the width and length and from the Julia pattern I used
the idea and height of the kangaroo pocket.
The width of the
kangaroo pocket was determined by the fabric's print. I took four
columns of faces and cut two times one column of faces for each side
panel. I first sewed the kangeroo pocket and side panels before I cut
the armholes. I had to do this because the main panel ended very close
to the armholes.
I lined the hood with the black and white striped fabric. The combination with the faces fabric is lovely. I forgot to take a picture showing the inside of the hood, but you can see how well they math here.
I finished the hood with the same technique as I
used for the Theo polo, only with a much narrower strip. I cut straight
down at the centre of the panel. I used my serger to attach the bias
strip beginning a centimeter from the bottom of the cut, all along the
hood and down the cut again. I sewed the bias in place with my twin
needle. Although I used white matching bobbin thread the small zigzag on
the inside of the hood bothers me a bit.
The fit is perfect, my
son can totally lift his arms without his belly showing. He loves the
kangaroo pocket, especially putting is arms through totally.
my daughter's skirt I eyeballed a waistband and cut a A-line skirt. The
uni-colored orange is a very stretchy interlock with great recovery,
perfect for waistbands. I added double bias pockets to create an nice
transistion between the different fabrics.The pockets were inspired by
the swing skirt (the shape) and the princess castle dress (one layer
pockets sewn to the outer jersey fabric).
The suns fabric and
both striped fabrics are almost totally used. From the interlock I still
have a good piece left and will come in handy for future skirts, I love
orange. I also have a good deal left from the faces fabrics but decided
to give it to a friend who also loves Lillestoff.
This series therefore has come to an
end. I managed to sewed up five garments from the fabric, thanks
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel
free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than
English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).