Two weeks ago Lillestoff organized a competition. Everyone was asked to send in their sewing ideas for the two fabrics: Sterntaler Kimbi and Kidsface. I wrote that I would make a waterfall woman's shirt, a skirt for my daughter and a hoodie for my son, and I won! I was over the moon, although my fabric stash is filled with Lillestoff, I didn't own these two yet and not much beats free organic fabric. When my package arrived last Wednesday I was even more ecstatic because besides the 3 meter that was announced I also received 1.5 meter matching fabrics.
abundance of fabric made me want to sew even more than I had planned.
Part of the contest rules was to post about your creations between the
18th and 31st of May. Therefore, this post if the first of a series.
I start with my waterfall plans. With one and a half meter I decided to
make a waterfall dress. After I made a few dresses last year I somehow
never made more. I love wearing them but I I gained some weight instead
of loosing it and this demotivates my selfish sewing.This fabric gift
finally was the last push I needed to start sewing for myself again.
looked through all my Ottobres and found a waterfall shirt and dress in
Ottobre 2/2009. My measurements didn't fall in the same size and I
decided to do a full bust adjustment. Even thought knit is very
forgiving when it comes to sizes, and especially Lillestoff with its
great recovery, I wanted to challenge myself to be better. In the fall I
did a full bust adjustment on a jersey dress with princess seams which
was much more complicated than I had to do for this dress. This pattern
already had darts so I only had to make them a bit wider.
dress has a six pieced skirt, which calls for a lot of fabric if you
can not use the fabric upside down. The Sterntaler has small smiling
suns, I considered using them upside down but I decided against it. This
meant that there was no way I could cut it out of my fabric, I really
tried. But when I made the dress just above the knee it worked out fine.
really like the shape of the dress it really hugs my body the right
way, although it doesn't hide my post pregnancies belly (I think I saw
my neighbour even looking at it yesterday thinking I might expect a
fifth) it shows that I have curves. The darts have to be moved a bit to
the middle to actually be on the place where they should, but I am still
very satisfied and I think I will use this pattern again.
nice heavy structure of Lillestoffs jersey makes the waterfall less
pronounced than if I would have used a light weight drapey fabric. I
finished the dress with a yellow/gold double needle top stitching.
made pictures with a tripod (to avoid sighs from my husband when I
again am not satisfied with my pose). I really needed quite some
distance between me and the camera and put the tripod just behind a
small wall separating our driveway from the pavement. I actually had to
take a small run to reach the timer, but also increased the chance of
being alone in the picture. I had a small photo bomber which was running
with me and fortunately didn't reach my leg before the end of the ten
shots, but she was there when I was choosing the right setting and I
just love the picture
I love to hear what you think of my creations.
Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google
translate might have to assist me if you choose something different
than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).