Friday, August 28, 2015

Boy Otium and another Domi

School is starting all over the world, which equals back-to-school-sewing in the blog community. Bloggers are showing off their skills by sewing perfectly matching wardrobes. I am not one of those bloggers. I simply have an inability to sew matching garments. Everything I sew is bold or extremely bold. On her blog, this week, I already reacted that I love sewing dresses because they do not have to be combined with anything (I know other people create beautiful combinations with cardigans and shoes, I simply sew long sleeves for winter and ignore any matching issues with shoes).


One of the many back-to-school blog sewing activities is over here. You can win some great prizes if you sew something with the patterns of their sponsors and link up. I have a weakness for sewing link ups and I owned a few of the suitable patterns. One of the sponsors is Sofilantjes and garments sewn with the Domi, Otium for girls or Bueram patterns all qualify for entering the game. Being my enthusiastic self, I decided to sew all three of them. The Domi and Otium will be discussed in this post, the Bueram is for next time.


Let's start with the Otium for girls. The name clearly states for who this pattern is intended, well, I like to draw outside the lines. I hacked the pattern for my son and my eldest daughter loves the shirt that much, she wants one too.


The main change I made is putting in a zipper. Instead of having a lined front pocket, I doubled the entire front and used the lines for the pocket to position the zipper. I sewed the Otium with the honest intention of matching it with the Domi I sewed a week earlier. The shirt was to be a relatively plain shirt.


While searching fabric for the Otium, I noticed a piece of jersey that was too small for a shirt, but perfect for my Otium hacking plan. I had used the fabric here and all my kids had mentioned how much they liked the print. I mirrowed the position of the pocket because my son is a lefty. In the picture my son is pretending to be sad because of the huge cut in his shirt.


This lead to a non-plain Otium, reaffirming my inability to sew low-key garments. It doesn't match with the Domi, so I decided that I would simply blog about two different outfits. I matched the Otium with a pair of orange (store bought)  pants, I think the combination works very well.


Of course, my son had to have his good friend in the pictures as well. That good friend can now travel with him everywhere without being lost. On the picture below he is pretending to have a tummy ache from eating him.


I didn't manage to make good picture of the empty shirt without my son covering at least a part of it. This picture has the bear inside (and he is pretending to be surprised that his bear disappeared), in case you are wondering what that strange bump is. The dotted fabric is from Lillestoff and the black uni fabric I bought from Joyfits.


Now for the second part of this post, the Domi. After sewing these two, I simply had to sew the long version as well to complete the Domi trifecta. The main fabric is from Hilco. I used a decorative stitch, consisting of little stars, to make the pockets (because not enough was going on yet on that fabric, right).


I lowered the rise of the Domi because my son prefers to wear it on his hips. I just took of 5 centimeter around the entire top of the pattern . My eldest two kids have almost the same hip size, so I will use this lowered rise version for my daughter as well.


Sewing went smooth, taking pictures not so much. I matched the Domi with a plain red shirt. My son did not agree. He didn't like the red shirt, he wanted to wear the zipper Otium. Pictures without a shirt were the only way to avoid the non-matching Otium.


My son loves loud combinations (he is allowed to pick his own clothes) but for the blog I am trying to tone down the crazy wear a bit. I read on several blogs that people feel that blogs show a too perfect life, well that is true here as well. I therefore decided to also include a picture of how this will actually be worn. My son loves it, which is the most important thing right?


I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).  

42 comments:

  1. Hele toffe sweater met die rits en zo schattig dat zijn knuffel erin wordt gestopt. Aparte combinatie met de broek ;) Maar ach, als die dat zelf graag wil, dan is dat ok, toch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laten we het erop houden dat hij graag uniek is ;)

      Delete
  2. Geweldige beschrijving en zooo herkenbaar! Naaien wat je leuk vindt, niks bijpassends naaien en kindervoorkeuren. Maakt het leven kleurrijk en nu je blog dubbel kleurrijk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heel fijn dat andere blijkbaar dezelfde issues hebben, voel ik me net wat minder vreemd!

      Delete
  3. Leuk!!! En oh zo herkenbaar! Ik naai ook met zulke stoffen en denk bijna nooit na over matchende setjes. Waardoor ik soms problemen heb en niet een shirt bij een 'drukke domi' kan vinden. Gelukkig kwam m'n moeder laatst met felgekleurde shirts aanzetten. Dus heb ik weer bijpassende shirts :)
    Maar ik was laatst al van plan om na te denken over 'setjes naaien'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heel lang had ik niet eens uni kleuren stof in de kast, maar dat is nu een stuk beter. Ik denk dat ik gewoon even alle Billie opties ga uitproberen, dan heb ik weer wat unie shirts.

      Delete
    2. Oh heb je billie gekocht? Ik twijfel, ik heb veel ottobres, dus veel basisshirt patronen.

      Delete
    3. Ja ik kocht hem inderdaad, ik heb ook alle Ottobres liggen, maar ik wilde hem toch proberen, Ik was erg onder de indruk van de Theo en ik ben benieuwd hoe de pasvorm is. Een T-shirt is al gauw goed, maar ik ben benieuwd of het perfect kan, ik blog erover, dus dan lees je het vanzelf :)

      Delete
  4. Wat zou die sweater hier ook scoren! Heel mooi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zakken zijn de max hier, hoe groter hoe beter. Dit is het grootste dat ik gaan kon haha

      Delete
  5. Hele leuke sweater!! Ziet er uit als een heerlijke broek. Als hij zich hier mooi in voelt moet je dat gewoon laten gaan, je zult altijd je zoon in de meute kunnen vinden - is hier nog al eens moeilijk met de schooluniformen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Als hij ouder wordt zal de drang naar conformisme vanzelf komen (helaas) verwacht ik.

      Delete
  6. O wat een leuke sweater, wat leuk die rits!! Zo leuk! En ook nog een leuke broek! Ik ben zelf van de leuke combi's maar mijn kinderen denken hier toch vaak anders over ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grappig hoe kids al zo'n eigen smaak kunnen hebben he

      Delete
  7. Super leuk! Die rits over dat voorpand is zo tof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik denk dat het ook met uni-stoffen leuk zou staan, zo'n rits geeft al echt iets extra's van zichzelf.

      Delete
  8. Geweldig, die rits. Hoe kom je er toch telkens weer op. Ben zo'n fan van jouw naaistijl! Je weet telkens weer iets superorigineels to fabriceren.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of these items, you did such a great job! And your son is a great little model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little monster, that is what he is, but he is my cute little monster :)

      Delete
  10. Een echte kangoeroetrui... machtig! Zo creatief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat gaaf om van je hele voorpand een zak te maken! En matching outfits... als ik al eens iets moois bij elkaar gezocht heb, kiezen ze zelf toch de meest wilde combinaties. En stiekem vind ik dat eigenlijk heel leuk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik ook stiekem ;) Heerlijk dat ze nog zo open zijn qua geest. Ook qua eten willen ze regelmatig combinaties die mij niks lijken, melk met spa rood bijvoorbeeld. Mijn eerste instinct is "nee", maar daarna laat ik het ze eigenlijk altijd proeven wat ze willen, daar leren ze van.

      Delete
  12. wat een prachige twist heb je aan die otium gegeven :) en groot gelijk, ze laten dragen waar ze goesting in hebben, al geef ik hier dan zelf twee of drie bijpassende broeken waar hij dan weer uit mag kiezen. succes met de wedstrijd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hij heeft voornamelijk unibroeken, gelukkig is de combinatie dan al snel goed. Ik was van plan om weer een broeken te naaien, ik ga dus voor uni kleuren heb ik besloten.

      Delete
  13. Druk kan ook heel mooi zijn. Print op print is soms prachtig. Ik naai ook geen outfits. Ik maak wat ik leuk vind. Jouw Otium hack is geweldig! Super gaaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, extra bijzonder als het compliment van jou komt in dit geval!

      Delete
  14. Super met die rits. Hier zou die zak constant boordevol zitten, mijn kinders zijn hamsteraars, dus ik ga me er niet aan wagen denk ik, anders hebben de juffen binnen de week niets meer in hun klas :-) Ik ben ook fan van hevige kleuren, contrasterende combinaties en kamp telkens met een gebrek aan effen stofjes in mijn kast. Veel herkenbaarheid dus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jij bent juist een van mijn voorbeelden qua combinaties, jij maakt van die geweldige (relatief) uni kleuren shirts met je cameo, goed om te horen dat het bij jou ook niet vanzelf gaat.

      Delete
  15. Fantastic! I love the choices children make when picking what to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are full of life, the kids and their clothing choice.

      Delete
  16. Nice clothes! Especially I like that shirt! Zipper is good detail!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ik heb ook nog nooit een volledige outfit genaaid, eigenlijk. Ik naai wat ik mooi vind - meestal gevolgd door een winkelzoektocht naar wat er goed bij past, dat dan weer wel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hele mooie jongens-outfits, knap gedaan. Ik let er vaak te weinig op of iets wat ik maak past bij iets anders, ik zie te graag kleurtjes! Ik probeer mezelf voor broeken te bedwingen en die (zo) effen (mogelijk) te houden… voor de oudste dan toch… meestal...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Toffe sweater! Ben niet helemaal fan van de gehele samengestelde outfit...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a cool hoodie! The zipper makes the perfect detail. Those pants are really cool too. I'm wanting to go buy that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on sale at Bloome Denmark (just 15 euro per meter), if you also have the discount from Pattern anthology, you can really buy it for a bargain!

      Delete