Friday, September 21, 2018

One Thimble 20 continued

The nice weather that we had the last few days made me remember that I still have two summer sews from one Thimble 20* to show you. I already showed you these two outfits made from issue and today I am showing you a beach cover and a romper. Both got a different use than what they originally were for though, but both have already been worn a lot.

Let's start with the beach cover designed by The Eli Monster. The pattern is designed for woven fabrics, but as you might know, I do not own that much woven. I do have plenty of jersey and this striped Lillestoff jersey was begging to become a colorful beach cover. The fabric that I had was slightly too narrow, but I solved it by adding a wide jersey strip instead of a hem. Added bonus, it did make finishing this garment very quick and easy.

Seeing as we are clearly moving towards fall, this beach cover will probably never see the beach. Although it work would great as a pool coverup, my daughter loves using it as a bath robe (without actually using it after taking a bath). It is super comfortable to wear and easy to put on, which makes this one a true winner for my at-least-3-times-per-day-changing-clothes 7 year old.

The Retro Romper is designed by Thread Faction for girls, but I made one for our son. It was somehow really breathing vintage boy sport outfit to me. With hindsight I should have made the legs a bit longer, now his boxer sometimes shows at the legs, but that does not stop him from wearing it two days a week during school gym. He really likes it. He is growing quickly though, so I assume I will have to make him a new one in a few months.

The plain green is a clear contrast to the screaming beach cover fabric, but I felt it was very suitable for this romper, especially combined with the muster yellow. The combination in my eyes is truly unisex, and because our 7 year old daughter loves rompers, I know that this one will get a lot of wear in our house.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Hibernis dress

The Hibernis is one of my most favorite shirt patterns and for more than a year I had been planning to lengthen it into a dress. Last week, I finally did it, and I am totally in love with the result. The fabric that I used for the dress had been on my "fell out of love with this fabric but I have to use it" pile, and as usual I again totally see why I had to buy it in the first place.

There are several ways  to hack the Hibernis into a dress but I chose to simply lengthen all the pattern pieces. This way the pocket is very long, but I knew my daughter would not mind. She usually only uses pockets to stash her hands and they will not get lost in deep pockets. I determined the length that I needed by subtracting the Hibernis length from the Vivax length and lengthen the pieces with the difference in length between the two patterns.

Our kids always loved to wear hoods, and now that it becomes colder weather they are rediscovering this love. Someone in the Sofilantjes group asked last week for a Hibernis with hood hack and I assumed that the Nivalis hood would totally work. I was right, the Nivalis hood works perfectly on the Hibernis.

I bought the cat fabric two years ago, when I I was in awe of digitally printed animal fabrics. But somehow I fell even quicker out of love with those fabrics than usual.  That is alos why I am buying more uni colored fabrics now and just print my own print on them. With this dress I did manage to use the kitten fabric to its fullest.  I had to make an extra seam in the sleeve and hood and add a band, but it is almost invisible due to the busy print, even though there was no attempt at print matching at all. I still have a horse fabric on the pile, that one will probably be next for a Sofilantjes hack.