Sunday, January 24, 2016

Wild Thing Coat two: Toothless

Earlier this week I showed you my beaver coat which I made my middle daughter. Today, I am showing you a dragon coat that I made my son, not just any dragon, I made a Toothless (in case you are not so much into animated movies, he is the famous black dragon). I drew my own head piece, back piece and tail for this one, but the coat itself coat is the very well fitting Wild Things Coat from Big Little.


Let's start with the headpiece, the entire thing is one piece. I drew a circle the size of the hood's opening and drew the spikes and ears all connected to each other. I was considering using some interfacing, but I decided against it. It does not stand up as much as I planned, but this does not bother me as much as I expected, if I would do it again I am still not sure if I would use interfacing.



I was in a hurry while sewing this coat, so instead of taking individual spikes for the back I simply drew a line of spikes. On the pictures you see the coat is wrinkled, but seeing that it is felt (although it is washable) I did not dare to steam iron it. Over the last two weeks the wrinkles have disappeared totally. I bought the washable felt at Textielstad, it was very nice to work with is soft to the touch and warm.



The tail is detachable with a single snap. I top stitched the tail to add some extra details. It is relatively small compared to the coat, but I did not wanted it to be a safety hazard.



The lining is biological Nicky from Lillestoff which I bought long ago at Joyfits. The combination of the felt and nicky gives a nice warm coat that he can wear now with temperature around zero degrees. Sewing in a stretch lining into a non stretching coat is not the most fun experience, but while using the differential on my serger, I managed.


Last time, I promised you a better pocket picture. On this picture you can see that the pockets are holes with a flap on it. It would be easy to put a zipper on them, but like I said, I was in a hurry. The fabric I used for the pockets is from old trousers from my husband. It is not the best combination with the main fabric, but I needed a thick fabric to cancel out the thick felt, and the pockets are not visible usually.

If my son puts his hands in his pockets he creates wings (he has been doing this for years with his friends from school), so this dragon can even fly. In my previous post you could have spotted a flying beaver, I love that kids have so much fantasy.


Today is the last day of sale of this coat. Visit the Big Little Pattern shop and purchase your pattern with a 30% discount for only $8.40 excl VAT (regular price $12).

 I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).


17 comments:

  1. Mijn zoon zit hier naast mij: "wie is dat kindje? Die heeft een jas van Tandloos!" Met een zieke in huis hebben we die film de afgelopen dagen wel vier keer gezien! Je hebt er een kleine fan bij :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, heerlijke film, al zou ik hem misschien na vier keer in 1 weekend wel zat zijn.. ;)

      Delete
  2. Erg leuk! Lekker anders dan anders, en daar ben ik erg voor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anders dan anders, ja dat past goed bij mijn naaistijl ;)

      Delete
  3. Geweldig, wat een stoere jas, super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. ik ben benieuwd hoe lang ze mijn kleren leuk blijven vinden, tot nu toe genieten we er allemaal super van.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Die stof is zo mooi, dat ik haast zin heb om voor man lief een nette jas te naaien, maar ik ben nog niet zo dapper als jij.

      Delete
  6. oooh, zooo mooi!! Ik sta een beetje achter op de blog, dus moet je vorige exemplaar ook nog eens gaan bewonderen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dat is echt supercool! Hier zouden ze ook wel zo'n "thema"-jas willen, maar ik kijk een beetje op tegen het vele werk... en jij maakt er zo eventjes 2 in een wip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wat leuk zo'n fantasieprikkelende jas. Wat zullen ze erin spelen! Heel gaaf gedaan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wat een heerlijk patroon!!! Je hebt er weer pareltjes van gemaakt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cool coat Miranda! I bet your boy is so happy to have a "toothless"!! xx

    ReplyDelete