Thursday, January 28, 2016

A tie, socks and gloves

This might have been the strangest combinations of sews in one post, but for me they are clearly related. They are easy projects which I did not feel like writing a whole blog post about, but the three of them together make a nice content.


Let's start with those socks. I bought the pattern from Wolf and The Tree about three months ago. My middle daughter wanted to sew something and socks seemed a perfect project for her to "sew" on my lap. Ofcourse more of my kids wanted a pair that day. I had to experiment slightly to get the perfect fit, besides having skinny bodies my kids seem to have skinny feet as well. Experimenting with a sock is really quick, so I really did not mind.


A few weeks ago, I was forced to acknowledge that my son's sock collection had become a disaster. Last year, I already accepted that non-matching pairs was the way to go in our household. Every morning, I find my self going through the clean laundry searching for socks, and I am happy when I find enough, I am not picky about the color.


My son seems to eat his socks, or maybe he just hides them but besides no matching sock, I more and more often did not find any socks for him (There are a enough pink ones, but he somehow refuses to wear them). The few brave socks that were returning from the battle field were also getting small ( I know my son's feet grew, and the socks did not shrink). It was time for an intervention. I took a piece of Nosh jersey that was a leftover from sewing these trousers and cut seven pair. It is purely coincidence this would mean a pair a day for a whole week, it was simply the amount I managed to cut from the fabric.


I posted the picture of all the socks together on Instagram and Facebook and people asked me if my son liked wearing them. Well, he loves them, he has been wearing them for almost a month everyday and is really disappointed if I can not find a clean pair in the morning. Although there is no heel, the socks stay on nicely and the seams do not bother him. I sewed it on my serger with 5mm seam allowance.


This tie you might also have seen om my Instagram feed. I sewed it from the leftovers of this dress. My son saw the fabric  and said he did not like it in such a way, that I knew he was jealous. From the last scraps that remained, I sewed him a tie from this free tutorial. This is not a full tie, it is just the shape you see, tied to on an elastic that goes around the neck. My son already had one of these and he loves wearing it on formal occasions, this one I sewed the evening before his school's Christmas dinner, he was super proud. I had to cheat with the knot though, it did not wanted to remain nice and straight so I just sewed it in place a bit. I did not have much fabric to work with, so I had to sew two pieces together (the seam is inside the knot and might be the reason for my extra needed stitching) and I had to use the selvedge as well. The selvedge is only visible on the back, so that is fine.


Let's talk about those gloves. My kids were going ice skating as an after school program and they had to wear gloves. Winter had not been cold yet and while I was searching though the gloves in our house, I realised my eldest did not have a good pair of gloves. A few days earlier I had downloaded the (at that time still free) gloves pattern from SUAT which was the perfect solution to my problem. I cut a lining and a main fabric, but while sewing the lining, I started to fear that the gloves would become too tight (I had chosen a nice thick lining). I thought that if I would put the two together, my daughter would not be able to put her thumb in it. So I just sewed two pair. My daughter loves them and I should not have feared. I could have just sewed them together because she can easily wear them on top of each other. Though the fact that I did keep them separate is not bad, now she can adjust the warmth herself by deciding how many she wears. They are like a two seasons glove set. Feeling adventurous and want to draw your own customized version, she recently wrote a (Dutch) picture tutorial.


I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian). 

21 comments:

  1. Geweldige sokken! Ik ken het fenomeen weessok maar al te goed, goed opgelost zo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik kocht twee jaar geleden 12 paar zwarte sokken, maar die verdwenen bijna meteen (onder bed, hoeken kamer, bodem zwarte wasmand..), nu dus een kleurtje gekozen waar ik niet makkelijk overheen kijk!

      Delete
  2. Die sokken, geweldig! En best handig inderdaad die '4 seizoenen' handschoenen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ja ik refereerde naar het 4 seizoenen dekbed, maar gezien ze alleen in herfst en winter nodig zijn koos ik voor 2 seizoenen handschoenen.

      Delete
  3. Waw! En hoe goed bedacht, 7 paar identieke kousen, gedaan met al die weeskousen - die hier, jammer genoeg, ook in grote aantallen in de kousenlades liggen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiekem fijn om te horen dat andere hetzelfde probleem hebben!

      Delete
  4. Heel erg leuk! Hier ook een hele stapel weessokken, waar de anderen zijn gebleven? GEen idee. Ik heb er wel eens een opgezogen met de stofzuiger, maar vast niet die hele stapel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weessokken gebruiken we hier uiteindelijk maar als wegwerp doekjes om de wc mee schoon te maken, volwassenen sok is ideaal , baby sok wat behelpen :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ideaal sokken stofje vond ik, nu even een leuk lapje kiezen voor mijn oudste dochter..

      Delete
  6. Die sokken, geweldig! En hoe krijgen die jongens het toch voor elkaar om zoveel sokken te laten verdwijnen? Hier is het net zo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IK weet niet of het geslacht gebonden is, maar het is bij ons bij zoonlief wel het ergste probleem , ik denk echter dat dat komt omdat hij altijd sokken nodig heeft, de rest heeft regelmatig een maillot aan en daarvan kunnen ze gelukkig niet de helft kwijtraken.

      Delete
  7. Die sokken zijn geweldig! Hier steek ik het voorlopig op de wasmachine dat ze blijven verdwijnen, misschien moeten focus herbekeken worden. Tof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het leukste aan die sokken vind ik nog steeds hoe snel ze klaar zijn :)

      Delete
  8. Sokken naaien, ik zou er echt nooit opkomen ... maar misschien moet ik dat toch eens nader bekijken, lijkt mij een ideale restjesverwerker ! (en mijn zonen houden ook van heel kleurrijke sokken)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nou ik zelf ook niet hoor, maar toen het patroontje uitkwam kwam ik steeds testers in mijn Facebook feed tegen. Na de eerste naaisessie was ik toch wat sceptisch over geen hiel, maar toen ik later in de Zeeman sokken zonder hiel vond heb ik me er gelukkig toch aan gewaagd.

      Delete
  9. Die sokken zijn een geweldig idee! Hoewel ik nog zou moeten zien of de naad hier voor een storende factor zouden zorgen. Maar we hebben ook last van eenzame sokken, ik denk dat de wasmachine ze opeet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik wil ze ook eens voor mezelf naaien, kan ik die naad eens (niet) voelen inderdaad.

      Delete