Monday, March 14, 2016

Miss Polly release

Today, I am showing you two Miss Polly's, the newest pattern from Sewpony. I simply love those pockets, but that should not come as a surprise to people that read my blog. The lines of this dress scream "piping", but I will show you it is great without as well.



As usual, I am starting with my latest sew. This is a relatively plain version, I did not use piping and left the shoulder flaps buttonless. I love how it turned out, and although I used the easy option, it is far from plain. I used the only panel piece (so 110 wide and 45 cm high) from the Robert Kaufman fat quarter package as main fabric. I used other pieces from the pack here and here and here. The uni-colored brown fabric is from Cloud 9. I bought both a long time ago at Modes4U.



I love the contrast between the plain brown of the pocket and the shiny gold from the main fabric. Although I did not have much fabric, I did manage to create an (almost) perfectly matching backside. I feel that because she is our fourth, I am making less pictures of her doing normal day-to-day stuff. From my eldest I naturally made pictures like "first time holding a pencil", or "trying to use the broom". Seeing as she does not want to interrupt her play any more for pictures, I now start to get quality pictures of those things though, yeh!



The other dress I made has a very different colour scheme. The grey birds are from Stenzo, from the light blue flower version I do not know the designer. These two fabrics were bought around the same time as the fabric that I used for this tunic. I loved them when I bought them, but then I discovered the true vastness of the fabric market. I am really trying to sew with my older fabrics and I have to say, I really like how this one turned out. It is great to feel the old spark of my original love for these fabrics.



The dress pattern has three sleeve lengths. I have a general weakness for cap sleeves, but I can appreciate sleeveless as well because it makes layering super easy. With sleeveless you can either put a long sleeve under the dress or combine it with a bolero/jacket. I am planning a trifecta sleeve sew though, the next one will have long sleeves.



I shot these pics the same day as when I made sneak peeks for these, which explains the eggs in the pictures. My kids love Easter, or let's say they like our version of an Easter egg hunt. With the kids becoming older, our hunt becomes more elaborate. It started with finding one big egg in the garden, last year I organized a hunt through out the entire house. I used plastic eggs that I hid in a specific order. The eggs contained a hint about the next hidden location. Last year the amount of plastic eggs was my constraint. A few weeks ago, I received about 25 plastic eggs from a friend, so this year I could make my kids individual hunts, based on their specific needs (reading level etc). I am a bit of a last minute kind of girl, so I do not know how I will actually do it though.



I sewed the grey dress during my sewing weekend. During the weekend, I really started to appreciate ironing. Looking at her projects, I just wanted to do better in that area. In general, I almost never iron,  if I iron, it is because of my sewing hobby. After bad experiences from ignoring interfacing steps, I  changed my never-ironing ways and for a while now, I never skip that step. Ironing seams is not something that I do though. I just felt it did not really make a difference. I am very happy I stepped up my game, for the gold dress I ironed everything, and it looks so much nicer. The fact that my start fabric was not that wrinkled helps as well of course. I am very curious how both dresses will look after washing. I am curious if ironing during sewing will keep making a difference.



Miss Polly will be one sale until Friday. The pattern will be 10% off in Sewpony's shop with the code MISSPOLLYDRESS10. While you are there, also check out the Dear Prudence the other Sewpony dress I tested last year, that one was just as great!



I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).

24 comments:

  1. Geweldige jurkjes! Lijkt me een heel tof patroontje! Je maakte mooie combinaties. Ik heb het grijze stofje ook nog liggen, maar na het zien van dit jurkje vind ik het geweldig jammer dat ik er maar 50 cm van kocht.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stof is lekker breed, dus met een halve meter kan je een heel eind komen. Als je voor een colorblocked A lijntje gaat kan het op behoorlijke lange kids nog prima zelfse ;)

      Delete
  2. Wat een leuke jurkjes! Dit is een patroon om aan de collectie toe te voegen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, ik ga meteen eens kijken of ik dat patroontje zou toevoegen aan mijn bib... :)
    Enne, fijn dat je het strijkijzer (her)ontdekt hebt tijdens naaien. Persoonlijk vind ik het ook echt een must ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een vaart waarmee je de laatste tijd blogt ;) Hele leuke jurkjes! Ik zag er al wel 1tje live, dus ik kende het patroon al. Superleuk gedaan. Eentje voor mix&matches van stoffen en structuren. Al denk ik dat ik deze wel zelf kan tekenen ipv het patroon te kopen (maar dat mag ik niet zeggen, zeker ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natuurlijk mag je dat wel zeggen, zeker in de comment section, in een eigen tester blogpost misschien wel iets onhandig ;)

      Delete
  5. Love these dresses! Those pockets are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toch weer eens een ander patroontje. Erg mooi gemaakt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het grote voordeel aan testen, dan maak je eens iets anders :)

      Delete
  7. ik hou wel van je stoffencombinaties! zelf zou ik deze stofjes er waarschijnlijk niet uitkiezen, maar het eindresultaat is wel mooi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, ja ik hoor vaker dat ik een "bijzondere" stoffen smaak heb!

      Delete
  8. I so love the first dress. I can already see my little girl wearing it and stuffing the pockets. :D
    (www.monptitcoeur.be)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here they will also stuff them for sure, it changes the view a bit, but a smiling kid makes everything look good!

      Delete
  9. Thank you Miranda! You did a fantastic job and thank you for all your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both your versions so much! So so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mooie jurkjes! Prachtige stofjes heb jij nog in je kast liggen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mooi! Vooral de bruine versie, staat zo mooi warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Allebei toppertjes! Zowel de stoffencombinaties als het patroon!

    ReplyDelete