Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Recykleer 14-daagse: From hubby shirt to my shirt

For the two week upcycle series I made myself a shirt. This is just the second shirt I made myself. Most of my sewing is done for the kids, which means that sewing for myself is still about getting out of my comfort zone.  The title of this post already shows that the sewing part for this garment was not very exiting. The sewing again required the same four seams as with the dress I made my eldest.



Below you find the "before" photo. You can see the shirt is only a bit too, so to give it a more female shape I only needed to take a few centimeters from the sides and narrowed the bodice part at the shoulders. I did not use a pattern, I just traced one of my well fitting shirts. The bottom width and sleeves remained the same. Because I knew the sleeves were long enough I simply cut the sleeves from the arm wholes and did not use my seam ripper.


I wanted to try the bleach drawing thing again, to see if I could get a lighter bleaching with real bleach. Although the bleaching is lighter, it still isn't white. I left the bleach on a whole night, so I do not know how people get it so much whiter, it might depend on the fabric as well. If I would have managed to create a perfectly white drawing, I would have made a dress with a drawing inspired by this one (thank you Olga for bringing this one to my attention). Now I have to reconsider those plans.



The drawing of this shirt was inspired by this picture. In that picture the lines are embroidered but I very much liked the idea of lines becoming letters. I copied the "love" part not being on the line, but adjusted the text to fit with my lifestyle. The bleached lines are not even, sometimes a few blobs came out of the bottle and I even managed to drip some bleach here and there, but I think these imperfections have their own charm.
 

Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dank je Francina, ik was zelf eigenlijk ook wel blij verrast dat het goed draagbaar is.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Je he, toen ik het ergens zag wilde ik het gewoon meteen proberen.

      Delete