Saturday, November 29, 2014

Recykleer 14-daagse: Old jeans to fatboy patchwork cover

This is my fourth project while sewing along the two weeks of upcycling. Although I have not much to say about this project and also only have three pictures, I am very happy with it. When I sewed along for the denim challenge in Project Run and play I mentioned that I had recently cut all my old jeans into 15 by 30 cm rectangles because I was planning an upcycle project. Well, a few months later I finally actually started sewing and surprisingly managed to sew all the pieces together in one evening.



On Pinterest (where else) I saw this beautiful bed throw. Unfortunately a bed throw was not something we would use (at least my husband did not get exited about such a thing on our bed). Although a throw would not work in our house, I was sure that there had to be a project in which I could use this jeans patchwork. Then I realized that this would be perfect for a fatboy cover. We have grey fatboy, which I asked for my 22nd birthday, and which was until now covered with single duvet covers (much cheaper than the official covers and Ikea has a wide variety).



Over the previous months I decided to cut the rectangles again into squares and I sewed the pieces together with my serger. I was a bit afraid that my serger would not be able to handle four layers of stretch denim (when I just bought my serger I broke a needle trying to sew the sides of a jeans)  but my fears were unnecessary (those earlier mentioned jeans side seams were probably six to eight layers thick). I had such a huge pile of pieces that I assumed that I could easily sew a front and back to the cover, but it turned out that I was over-optimistic. I had plenty of pieces for one side, but two was not possible. I therefore simply used one of the duvet covers as the other side of our new fatboy cover. We all love the result, my husband as well, he might get regrets about his earlier veto.



Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).

5 comments:

  1. Wat leuk gedaan! Ik wil zelf ook iets met patchwork gaan doen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik vond dat het verrassend snel naaide, al die lapjes aan elkaar, dus als je er over denkt, dan zeker doen! Ruimt heerlijk op qua lapjes ;)

      Delete
  2. Leuk leuk leuk! Ik heb alleen een mini poang (ikea) h oes ermee gemaakt. Er liggen wel broeken klaar. Ik ben een tijdje geleden begonnen aan een jas van spijkerbroeken en jasjes. Moet ik nodig mee verder gaan. En ik wil nog kussens maken van lapjes spijkerstof.
    Wat een leuk blog heb je! Ik ben meteen volger geworden. En jij hebt dus dat leuke babypakje gemaakt van een trui dat ik gisteren op het blog van Boomie zag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heerlijk he al die plannen :) Inderdaad is dat babypakje van mijn hand en zoals je al zag dacht ik bij jouw blog hetzelfde!

      Delete
    2. :)
      En Oh ja pinterest is ook al zo erg. Teveel ideeën en te weinig tijd. De recykleer14daagse bracht weer veel nieuwe ideeën. Er ligt ook genoeg klaar om te recykleren.

      Delete