Thursday, April 6, 2017

Sofilantjes with extra color blocks

Today, I am showing you a Nivalis* and 2 Hibernis* shirts. I sewed the Nivalis and one Hibernis during our sewing weekend and the other Hibernis I sewed two weeks ago. The combining factor between these three items is that they are slightly hacked Sofilantjes patterns such that they contain even more color block options. I already told you that I worked with scraps during our sewing weekend and of course I took Sofilantjes' patterns with me because they have a lot of color blocking options, but I had to make some extra color blocks to optimally use the fabric gems that I found in our "free store".

On this Nivalis I added an extra color block line on the bottom. I cut the curve at that place to optimally use the fabric, which is coincidentally around the tunic length line. So, you could easily make this color block yourself, just remember to add seam allowance to the cut you make. I apparently forgot my flap pieces, so I had to wing them, and they turned out a bit big.

The blue fabric is from Lillestoff, I immediately recognized it because I sewed this dress with the same fabric. This particular remnant was from Marie Paule from when she sewed her son this outfit. The kittens fabric is from Sofie, but she did not blog about the project she used it for. The sleeves and flaps where some small pieces from Davina. Those scraps where still "hot" in the sense Davina actually sewed the sweater during our sewing weekend.

This Hibernis for my son was made with scraps from Marie Paule and Hanne. Marie Paule used it to line this awesome coat, and Hanne made this cute skirt with the stars. The squirrel fabric has a super soft backside, and my son loves that, so I really wanted to turn it into something for him. The Hibernis is officially a girl pattern, but my skinny boy wears it well. To make the waist a bit less pronounced, I cut the side pieces (which actually have a curve) on the fold.  I had to split the back and front middle piece to squeeze a Hibernis from these two fabrics. The front split was between two contrasting fabrics, so I felt the split did not need an extra accent. The back split was between the same squirrel fabric, so there I felt I needed to make it look more intentional. I therefore put some empty piping between the layers.

I did not have a nice matching ribbing with me (I did take more than 10 colors, but grey was not among them). Neither of the fabrics where really suitable for a binding, the squirrel where too thick and the stars did not have a very good recovery. I am ashamed to say that I do not know anymore from who, but somebody gave a a small grey remnant of grey ribbing and I put a bit of stars next to it, and went with it.

Today's last shirt is this blue greenish Hibernis. Last month, Marloes from Joyfits asked me if I would be interested in making something with one of her panel fabrics. Of course I was, I love panels especially if they are in knits. Panels like this are perfect to cut a front of a shirt from, but I wanted to show you something a bit more sophisticated sew. I therefore created an extra color block on the sleeve. The side panel now is continued into the sleeve, and I wrote a tutorial for it. You can find the tutorial here. The other two fabrics that I used (besides the panel), I already had in my stash and where actually bought at Joyfits. The ribbing and Paapii fabric go perfectly with the panel. To fully use the blue of the panel, I added a split to the back.

Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian). If you buy anything through my affiliate links (*), I get a small commission (the price stays the same for you), I am very grateful for everything that feeds my fabric addiction.


  1. Heerlijk, al die colour blocking stukken zorgen weer voor inspiratie om zelf weer te gaan colour blocken.